Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"Mommy, that my brother and sister!"

For the last week or so Madeline has been learning about siblings and cousins.  It all started when she said one of her cousins was her "sister."  So we have gone over with her a couple times what a sister/brother/cousin was.  So I was cleaning out in the garage today and the 3 little ones were out there playing.  They were actually playing really nicely with very few fights.  Out of the blue Maddie says "mommy, that my brother and sister."  She has finally "got it."  Obviously, this comment was especially sentimental for me.  My heart just swells when I see how close the little three are getting.  I just love that we can bring two strangers into our family and within a very short period of time they can become siblings in every sense of the word.

Maddie is kind of the bossy one out of the three, but I do believe she genuinely tries to keep the smaller two out of trouble.  She may be the first to yank a toy from them, but she is also the first to comfort them and tell them "it's ok" if they are sad.  Gideon loves to stick things in his mouth, you really have to watch him.  Out in the garage Madeline yanked something from his hand and of course he screamed (and said "Madeline, no!").  She had taken a little golf marker (like the thing you put on the green to mark your ball) from him.  I gave it back to him and then realized he probably ought not have it and I threw it away.  Madeline then said "I tell Gideon, don't choke on it."  Maybe she wasn't being as selfish as I originally thought.  I think she was watching out for her little brother.

Also, I wanted to add that Anna is speaking more clearly lately.  I still can't understand 1/2 of what she says, but a lot of things are becoming more clear and she is saying lots of new words.  I was a little concerned about her for a while.  Not overly worried or anything because I think she is doing great for not hearing English for over 1/2 her life, but I guess I have felt she doesn't speak as well as other kids her age.  Now, I don't normally worry about what every other kid does because I know first hand that each kid can be extremely different in how they develop.  But, when it comes to language with our two little Guatlings, I feel I need to be more diligent than I would normally be. 

Julie

No comments: